Thursday, July 26, 2012

WOOL!


Wool is awesome!
It repels water. No really, it does! Wool is made up of crazy little scales that overlap on top of each other to create a water repelling shield. When you pair those scales (technically called cuticles) with lanolin it literally causes water to roll right off of the fibers. Lanolin is an oil that is secreted from sheep's skin. Pretty crazy, right? Sheep are like walking umbrellas! However, I won't be holding one over my head anytime soon. It's just a fun mental picture for you!

Wool is also breathable. Which is very important for something that is going to be put so close to baby's sensitive skin. It is warm in the winter and cool in the summer because its breathability allows skin temperature to stay regulated, and it also lessens the likelihood of diaper rashes!

Thirdly, it's absorbent.
Wait, What? Didn't you just say it repelled water?!
How can it absorb and repel at the same time?
That was my question as well! See, underneath that amazing water repelling layer that I boasted about so much, is a very permeable core. The pores in this core can store up to 30% of  its own weight in liquid, without even feeling wet. It is able to actually absorb and transmit moisture at the same time, something that no other artificial fiber can do. Magic? I think so.

It is repellant, breathable, & absorbent - making it the perfect cover for a prefold or fitted diaper. I've even used it covering a pocket diaper overnight to hold in any leaks.

Other fun facts about wool:
It's comfortable!
Naturally flame-retardant
Easy to care for
Dirt resistant
The Lanolin in it has antibacterial & anti-fungal properties that protect the sheep's skin from infection which means wool is naturally antibacterial & anti-fungal

Lanolizing--





It's super simple. I use CJ's Wool Wash.
First - Rinse the item in cool water
Then - Squirt a pump of CJ's Wool Wash onto the item.
Massage it in, focusing on the "soaker area"
The instructions say one pump, gotta admit - i do at least two.
After that - Swish it around in a small tub of warm water and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. At this time I add the lanolin (not pictured) I use solid or liquid lanolin and add it to the wash water to lanolize my woolies! If I use solid, I dissolve a pea size into a cup or so of hot hot water before adding. I use the little pink tub that the hospital sent home with us when my daughter was born. How'd they know I needed a wool wash tub?! Very considerate of them.





Once they have sat for at least 30 minutes, lay them flat to dry.
I generally hang mine on the line, because they look so darn cute!



and Finally -- WEAR THEM!!


No comments:

Post a Comment